In 2015 Business IT Nerd participated in the NCOI masterclass “Strategic Information Management”. This has recently be renamed to “Masterclass IT and Information Management”. Both cover the same contents. Every masterclass has a practical exam (assignment). This one focused on knowledge management as a key asset for organizations.
Goal of the assignment
The goal of the assignment was to write an “implementation plan” which acts as advise to a organization in order to strengthen their mission statements. We wrote a plan for the ICTU in The Hague to help them with their recent transformations. All information in the implementation plan is confidential, in this post we will outline what we have been doing to help you get an idea of our capabilities.
The contents of the assignment consisted of the following aspects:
- Introduction and positioning of the ICTU with regard to other software organizations
- The outline of the organizational changes from a strategic perspective (current and future situation)
- Analyzing the business goals and the translation of them into IT related goals
- Theoretical & practical research about the problem domains
- Deep dive into the organizational aspects which should be improved
- Practical actions and advice based on the outcome of the research
Theories and conceptual diagrams
The following theories and conceptual diagrams were used:
- Generic strategies model (Porter) to position the organization
- 9-vlaks model (Maes) to analyze the current and future internal organization
- Comparison of BiSL, ASL, ITIL frameworks
- Outline of the relevant strategic information challenges
- Conceptual model
- SWOT analysis and confrontation matrix
- Cyclic models of knowledge management
- 7S model of Porter
- Enterprise Information Management maturity model (Gartner)
Based on the implementation plan, the ICTU was able to get insights in their current position compared to other software development companies, got their business and IT goals clear, start their knowledge management implementations, learn from pilot projects based on feedback loops and many other things.
If you want to know more about this project and the concepts being used, please contact us.